So I have a make up kit that weighs a good 20kgs.
It’s not all make up mind you. A lot of its weight consists of make up brushes, various product dispensers, special cleansing oils, weirdly shaped cue tips and other quirky tools that can only be bought from a particular hole-in-the-wall beauty shop in New York.
So as I sat down to write about ‘5 daily essentials’ some ‘stuff’ came up… Just 5?
After careful thought around the words ‘daily’ and ‘essential’, and assuming you are already using a good cleanser & moisturiser, brushing your hair, applying mascara and generally grooming yourself, I give you my 5 daily essentials.
- Liquid illuminators are great for those who like to wear minimal make up and still look fresh. The common mistake people make is applying illuminator all over the face. Stick to the high points of the face to avoid looking like a shiny Christmas bauble! Place on the top of the cheekbones, along the cupid’s bow of the mouth, on the eyelids and inner corners of the eye. For those wearing powder and preferring a more matte look, powder illuminators are great – my favourite is MAC Mineralize Skin finish in ‘Soft and Gentle’. For the liquid version Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminzer is flawless!
- Your perfect shade of red lippy really is an essential. For a quick look pre-meeting or pre-date, pinning down your perfect shade of lipstick to brighten and add colour to your face with minimal effort is a lifesaver. I’m a huge fan of the organic Bite range. The pigment is juicy without any nasty chemicals.
- Carrying a great touch up powder for the T-zone will keep you looking freshly primped all day. For simple shine elimination MAC blot powder is perfect and can be applied as much as needed without becoming cakey. For a little extra coverage Becca pressed mineral powders are wonderful for shine elimination with a touch of coverage.
- Cream blush is one of my favourite products. It’s a natural way to add life to the face, and I don’t leave the house with it. A touch of cream colour to the apples of the cheeks adds colour and a healthy gloss to the skin. Becca and Bobbi Brown make my favourite cream blushes.
- A good eyelash curler. The emphasis on GOOD. I had a client email me recently asking if it was normal for eyelash curlers to gradually destroy and snap off your eyelashes. UM, NO it is not. A good eyelash curler not only will take care of your lashes, but also maintains its tension and grip of the lashes. The fail-safe curlers are Shu Uemura, and Kevyn Aucoin.